Enid Plainsmen got their first victory
  • Tonight

Partly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Low 66F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph.

Updated September 3, 2016 5 50 pm

“We just determined it’s the largest earthquake, larger than Prague.” — Dan McNamara, a research geophysicist with the USGS, adding data shows the quake was just a fraction larger, though not enough to change the magnitude. 

The Enid Plainsmen got their first victory of the season in grand style, riding a Lincoln to a 42 31 victory over rival Ponca City before a loud, enthusiastic crowd Friday night at D. Bruce Selby Stadium.

Presidential politics and campaign slogans have been the rage throughout much of American history. While we are amidst and closing in on November and another every four year vote for the nation’s highest office, I’m not sure slogans have stuck yet with candidates in 2016.

Political catch phrases usually come from among a presidential candidates supporters, and many have been coined from speeches various candidates have made in the run up to the November election.

Sometimes they are winners, and sometimes they are losers. Sometimes, history forgot campaign slogans because they didn’t really stick with voters.

“I like Ike” was one America’s baby boomers should remember from their youth.

It was a no nonsense slogan used to successfully brand two term president and likable World War II hero Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Of course, as one of my more witty and younger co workers in the newsroom once said about the 1950s when I was a youngster, she said I grew up in the days when everything was black and white — meaning, before color TV.

Very clever.

Another slogan from my tween years was “In your heart, you know he’s right.”

That slogan was coined for Sen. Barry Goldwater, in a quite unsuccessful presidential fight with President Lyndon B. Johnson.

The Texan s own “All the way with LBJ” slogan was not great, a bit corny http://www.indiansfanaticsjersey.com/jason-kipnis-jersey-c-16.html, but … who am I to argue with success.

My personal favorite campaign slogan comes from perhaps this nation’s most down to earth president — Harry Truman. It’s also one of the favorites of most presidential historians.

“Give ‘em hell Tommy Hunter Jersey, Harry” was a well coined line that came from a supporter on one of his whistle stop tours of the nation, yelled by an unknown man in a crowd Truman was addressing.

Harry indeed gave ‘em hell, and came from behind to best Thomas Dewey in 1948.

In 1872, President Ulysses S. Grant used the slogan “Grant us another term.”

While it certainly was lacking in creativity and really was pretty lame, it certainly didn’t hurt the popular former Civil War general and hero, and he got his second term.

In 1932 http://www.indiansfanaticsjersey.com/francisco-lindor-jersey-c-17.html, in the midst of the Great Depression, Franklin D. Roosevelt was quoted in the press “I propose a new deal.”

The New Deal became a catch word for Roosevelt from that point onward, as he won his presidential election against incumbent President Herbert Hoover, and went on to become the only man in U.S. history to win a third and then a fourth term as president.

When he ran for his second term as president, Ronald Reagan used the catch phrase, “Morning again in America.”

While it’s not on the long list of well known campaign phrases, it certainly was one of the most successful.

An early day presidential campaign slogan that still reverberates in history classes is the famous “Tippecanoe and Tyler, too.” It came from 1840, when William Henry Harrison — noted for fighting Indians in the Battle of Tippecanoe, ran with vice presidential nominee John Tyler.

So, our early presidential candidates did have some flair, after all.

“It’s the economy, stupid,” became a catch phrase more than a slogan in 1992 http://www.indiansfanaticsjersey.com/michael-martinez-jersey-c-18.html, when Bill Clinton won the White House.

That phrase, while crude, may be the most succinct of any in history.

Indeed, the economy almost always dictates how a presidential candidate will fare in November.

Perhaps the slogan that died the quickest was in 1928, when Hoover won the presidency.

“A chicken in every pot, a car in every garage.”

A year later, the Great Depression slammed the United States, and the phrase, the chickens, the pots and many of the cars pretty much disappeared.

In 1916, Woodrow Wilson had this slogan ”He kept us out of war.”

Well, that one lasted just one year and Americans were dying on battlefields in France and Belgium in the First World War.

Abraham Lincoln had a really good one in 1864, as the Civil War raged and a then unpopular president and an even more unpopular war couldn’t undermine Old Abe’s victory “Don’t swap horses in midstream.”

Americans didn’t, and his face today graces Mount Rushmore and his memorial casts historical shadows and light upon the Reflecting Pool in Washington, D.C.

One of the oddest presidential anti slogans I could find from American history occurred in 1884, when Grover Cleveland narrowly bested Sen. James G. Blaine.

“Ma, Ma, where’s my Pa?” was used by Blaine supporters against Cleveland, who was the father of an illegitimate child.

Cleveland supporters countered with, “Gone to the White House, ha, ha ha.”

Acrimony is not new to American politics.

So, what will be slogans and catch phrases in 2016?

There have been lots of phrases and accusations in 2016 — I’m not sure what, if anything, will stick.

Time — and history — will tell.

Christy is news editor at the Enid News Eagle. Visit his column blog at 

{ socialRegistration displayName }

By clicking Sign in , you confirm that you accept our and have read and understand .

We have sent a confirmation email to { emailAddressData }. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account.

Please confirm the information below before signing in. Already have an account?

{ registrationForm }

{ traditionalRegistration firstName }

{ traditionalRegistration lastName }

{ traditionalRegistration emailAddress }

{ traditionalRegistration password }

{ traditionalRegistration passwordConfirm }

{ traditionalRegistration displayName }

By clicking Create Account , you confirm that you accept our and have read and understand .

We ve sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Your existing password has not been changed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!